Friday, August 15, 2014

Why I Am The Original Hussy® (part 1)

Why I Am The Original Hussy® (part 1)



Do you ever wonder to yourself, "Self, why for fuck's sake does that girl call herself The Original Hussy?"  Well, no worries.  The OH is here to tell you all about it.

Back when I was a little girl, I spent a lot of time listening to the grown ups talk and talk and talk.  I wasn't allowed to talk with them, and I really wasn't supposed to be listening to them either.  But my ass DID listen!  I listened so hard that I learned some good stuff that I would take to school with me and share with all the other kids because I wanted to be a bad ass.  I was raised an Army brat, and that meant moving about every four years. It also meant that every time I found some friends and began to fit in with some kids, it was time to say goodbye.  I hated to say goodbye.  It was agonizing for me.  

When my Dad spent a couple of years in Korea, I lived behind my Mamaw and Papaw with my Mama and sister. I was seven years old and my sister was two.  It was nice to be around family all of the time.  And there was always some family around at Mamaw and Papaw's house.  There was also a ton of shenanigans because my Aunt and Uncle were teenagers back then and my Papaw was a heavy drinker. There was card games, cookouts, sleep-overs, porch swinging, shade tree settin', beer drinking in the back yard, (Not for me because I was too young back then, but we all know I love me some beer.) and there was always some shit going on.  My Mamaw was a feisty lady  and never held her tongue.  If she thought it, it came out of her mouth.  I think I get that from her.  (Thanks Mamaw, you did me a solid on that one.  And Rest In Peace you crazy, hard working, classy lady!  I love and miss you a bushel and peck!)

Now my Mamaw didn't cuss a whole bunch when I was a kid.  It was considered 'unladylike' to cuss.  But she could get fired up when something or someone crossed her, or anyone else in the family the wrong way.  And her vocabulary could be quite colorful, to say the least.  I remember one time when they had to go get someone out of jail because they were driving around drinking beer on backroads with some other woman besides their wife.  Mamaw referred to these women as 'hussies' and I was so young that I didn't know what it meant.  I found that word 'hussy' to be one of the funniest words I'd ever heard in my life.  I'd call my barbies and my dolls 'hussy' because it sounded like the best word ever for a girl.  When I got older I started putting two-and-two together and realized what she was talking about.

Now that old word doesn't mean something to be proud of.  Nope.  It means that woman gets around.  She's loose.  She's easy.  Home wrecker.  Mamaw used 'hussy' and 'floozy' to describe any woman who had found her way into the lives/hearts of the men in our family that weren't their wives or children.

I'm not any of those things, but the word still remains inside of me as something that I found appealing as a young girl.  'Hussy' didn't mean anything more than 'some woman who I've never met' back then.  To this day, I still haven't been able to shake my attraction to the word.  I know it doesn't describe ME, per se, but it brings back some very fond memories of my Mamaw and how I would listen to her conversations with people when she didn't know I was listening.

So now you know where I came up with the idea to call myself  a Hussy.  This story is far from over.  There's a shit ton more to tell.  Like how I became The Original Hussy®.  



Stay tuned.  When something strikes me then I'll be back with part 2.

<3 Hussy Love <3

2 comments:

  1. This is the third time I've tried to comment, so if you get 3, delete the first two. I keep thinking they'll get better...:)

    I read it all. :) Your personality really shines through. I hope you keep it up. I chose my pagename because Hussy isn't just reserved for homewreckers - it's what they used to call any woman who wouldn't play by their rules - which I can see you are familiar with. It's a slur meant to make a woman feel bad about being who she is or was as defined by someone else. I try not to let anyone define me. And the rest is because of the Shameless Hussy Press, a publisher of women writers from 1969-1989. Anyway, I'm impressed by the trademark. I don't want you to think I be tryin' to steal any of your shit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! When I first found you I was all star struck and shit! I know you'd never try to steal my stuff! Us Hussies gotta stick together, ya know! Hugs and all that good stuff! <3 Hussy Love <3

      Delete